In his book Overcoming the Spirit of Poverty, Rick Joyner describes the spirit of poverty as a stronghold established to keep us from the fullness of victory gained at the cross or the blessings of our inheritance in Christ. Could it be that some of us are not fully receiving our inheritance in Christ?
Apparently this was true for the Ephesian Christians. Paul in writing to the Ephesians says he is praying for them “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people…”There was part of their inheritance they were not seeing. We will need all of our inheritance to fulfill our role as sons and daughters in the Kingdom. Sons and daughters have confidence and dominion because they are owners. But how do we get there?
I have spoken about buying a Lily to help take dominion over financial worry. Why does a Lily help us overcome the spirit of poverty? It is because beauty feeds your soul. We will discuss more about this in upcoming blogs, but for now understand that beauty is one thing that helps us to have a prosperous soul. A prosperous soul has dominion over financial worry.
Psalm 131:2 describes this prosperous soul that is at rest as like a weaned child. “But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content.”A spirit of poverty leaves you with the anxious feeling that your finances are out of control. The money just comes in and goes out. Here are some practical steps to take dominion over your finances:
(1) Understand what the tithe is and do it in faith. Give 10% to your local church.
(2) Deposit your money into a savings account and “own it” for a while before moving it into a checking account to pay bills.
(3) Pay a bill early.
(4) Set aside money so you can pick a small debt and pay it off. Then go celebrate.
(5) Buy a financial book and read it.
(6) Take Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University.
(7) Plant lilies around the front door of your house.
Take a practical step forward and take dominion over your finances today.